DATES: January 7, 8 and 9, 2020, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm (participants attend all 3 days)
Designed for City of Phoenix employees who have a role in procurement and contract management, this innovative program helps employees meet increased responsibilities and new challenges in procurement, contract development and administration.
In this 12-hour program, you will learn tips and techniques for ensuring a quality procurement outcome and you will work with team mates to apply what you learn to improve sample city contracts.
City of Phoenix employees who would like to develop and improve their procurement, contract development and management skills by gaining a solid grounding in the contracting process and learning how to avoid common contracting pitfalls.
- Greater professionalism in the service contracting process.
- Greater confidence when dealing with contract performance issues.
- Improved compliance with contract budgets, timelines, and performance requirements.
By the end of this program, you will be able to:
- Apply relevant legal principles and the city procurement code to the contracting process.
- Utilize the city’s procurement contract templates.
- Define contract objectives and write comprehensive statements of need.
- Develop and write precise contract specifications and statements of work.
- Select criteria for evaluating proposals and qualification statements.
- Designate measurable criteria and create effective plans for monitoring contractor compliance and performance.
- Determine when contract change order is needed and when Council action is required?
- Implement conduct contract close-out, evaluation, and records retention procedures.
- Improve general contract management skills.
Day I. Contract Law and Local Procurement Codes and Processes
- General principles of contract law
- Overview of the City Procurement Code and Administrative Regulation 3.10
- City of Phoenix’s procurement contract templates
Day 2. Contract Development
- Techniques for defining and communicating contract objectives
- Writing statements of need for sample city contacts
- Writing precise contract specifications and statements of work for sample city contracts
- Selecting criteria for evaluating offers
Day 3. Contract Administration
- Techniques for monitoring contract compliance and performance
- Creating monitoring plans for sample city contracts
- Techniques for avoiding/managing contract disputes
- Contract close-out, evaluation, and records retention