When it comes to communication, experts agree that effective interpersonal communication is the life blood of relationships. They also agree that most of us get no formal training in these critical skills. When you attend Essential Communication Skills, you’ll learn and practice key “people skills” used by top communicators everywhere.
Janet Welch-McGrath is a trainer, educator, and counselor. She combines theory and practical know-how in a unique way so that application of the knowledge and skills taught is easy. Prior to establishing her own consulting and counseling practice, Janet held many management and supervisory positions in the business world which have provided her with the necessary experience to relate to the needs of her audiences. Ms. Welch-McGrath holds a bachelor’s degree in interpersonal communication with an emphasis in organizational development and psychology as well as a Master of Counseling degree—both from Arizona State University.
AGTS is a nonprofit Arizona-based corporation founded in 1980 to provide high quality low cost training exclusively to organizations in Arizona. We offer custom on-site training programs and public seminars throughout Arizona and strive to do so with superior quality trainers and content at competitive prices.
Anyone will benefit from this program.
- Improved relationships.
- Increased productivity.
- Stronger teams, higher morale.
- Less stress.
- Greater job and career satisfaction.
By the end of this program, you will be able to:
- Assess your current communication skill levels.
- Identify and practice powerful communication techniques.
- Identify and overcome barriers to effective listening.
- Understand and manage nonverbal communication.
- Adjust your style to meet the communication needs of a wide variety of others.
- Assessing Skills
- Common barriers to effective communication
- Reducing/eliminating barriers
- Managing perception
- Steps in effective communication
- Listening skills
- Barriers to effective listening
- Steps in effective listening
- Powerful techniques for improved communication
- Active listening
- Using probes
- “I”-centered communication
- Respectful approaches to others
- Interpersonal skills
- Boundary setting
- Behavioral styles and effective communication
- Personality assessment
- Exercise: Using the right “wavelength” for each style
- Action planning for communication skill development