Emotional Intelligence (EQ) is the make-or-break factor in workplace success. Research has shown that 58% of your job performance is related to how well you understand and manage your own emotions, how effectively you pick up on emotional cues from others, and how well you use this information to build productive work relationships.
Everyone has the built-in capability to act with a high level of emotional intelligence, it’s just a matter of learning simple tools and techniques then committing to practice “six seconds at a time” until the skills become automatic.
In this introductory course you will learn about the three basic EQ competency areas: Knowing Yourself (self-awareness), Choosing Yourself (self-management), and Giving Yourself (social awareness, and relationship management). You’ll begin to develop personal guidelines for expressing emotions in a way that will contribute to your success and satisfaction in the workplace. (Note: Managers and leaders, see Leading with Emotional Intelligence for the session tailored to your role.)
Anyone who would like to enhance the quality of his/her relationships by developing the “people skills” called emotional intelligence (EQ). (Note: Managers and leaders, see Leading with Emotional Intelligence for the session tailored to your role.)
- Improved relationships.
- Greater confidence in your ability to effectively manage emotionally-charged situations.
- Greater cooperation from others.
- Reduced stress and frustration.
- Greater value to your organization, family, and community.
By the end of this program, you will be able to:
- Explain what is meant by emotional intelligence (EQ) and why it is important to your career.
- Describe the Six Seconds EQ model and the science of emotion.
- List and practice the 8 core EQ competencies.
- Use the “6-Second Pause” to manage difficult emotions.
- Implement a personal EQ action plan.
- Introduction to EQ
- What is EQ?
- Six Seconds Conceptual Model
- Competencies for Workplace Effectiveness
- The Business Case for EQ Key Skill or “Flavor of the Month?”
- What is EQ?
- Know Yourself
- Brain Soup: The Science of Emotions
- Skill #1: Enhance Emotional Literacy
- Skill #2: Recognize Reaction Patterns
- Choose Yourself
- Skill #3: Apply Consequential Thinking
- Skill #4: Navigate Emotions
- Skill #5: Engage Intrinsic Motivation
- Skill #6: Increase Optimisim
- Give Yourself
- Skill #7: Increase Empathy
- Skill #8: Pursue Noble Goals
- Wrap Up
- Recap Key Tools
- Learning Journal