Effective project management is an important professional competency that relates directly to organization and individual productivity. Whether you will be involved with hands-on detail work of projects or you will be overseeing the process, this practical program will give you the skills, tools, and perspective to ensure project management success.
Zoom Version: 5/4/22 and 5/5/22 (two 4-hour sessions, 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. daily). (Participants attend both sessions)
Anyone who would like an introduction to the basics of project management will find this program valuable. (The program is not for individuals who have had formal training in or extensive experience with project management.)
- Greater confidence in your understanding of projects and effective project management techniques
- Greater efficiency and less stress in carrying out operations
- A reputation for reliability and timely project results
By the end of this program, you will be able to:
- Develop and execute an project plan.
- Stay on top of project performance and avoid embarrassing (and potentially costly) delays.
- Use best practices when dealing with the "people piece" of project management.
- Three key questions to ask when planning a project
- What qualifies as a project
- The triple constraints in project management
- The two biggest problem areas in project management
- Project management tools*
- Group project exercise
- The critical “people piece” of project management
- Managing project stakeholders
- Selecting members for the project team
- Developing a plan just for the team
- How to run shorter but more effective project meetings
- Surfacing unspoken expectations your boss(es) may have
- Strategies to get back on track if a project runs behind
- The power of credit
- The magic of coffee
- Review and wrap-up
*Note: The tools used in class are illustrative only and not meant as a recommendation or endorsement.