More frequently than ever, individuals with subject matter expertise (SME) are being asked to train others on what they know. This is the good news. The bad news is that content experts aren’t always experts in adult learning techniques. Their sessions can be dry, dull, and lecture based. Ironically, even “dazzling” presenters can be poor trainers if their approach isn’t learner-centered or outcome based. In this three-day accelerated effectiveness program led by go-to training expert Laura Royal, participants will learn important tips and techniques for ensuring their training is geared to the needs of adult learners and that participants come away from their sessions energized and with new skills to apply back on the job.
Employees responsible for training who would like to ensure that their sessions are participant-centered, interactive, and provide a platform for true skill development; individuals who would like to enter the training field and start off with a solid grounding in trainer effectiveness will also find this program beneficial.
- Training that is geared to adult learners.
- Training that achieves its objectives.
- Increased confidence in your effectiveness as a trainer.
- Maximum training payoff to your customer.
By the end of this program, you will be able to:
- Explain adults' learning needs and styles.
- Create measurable outcomes for your sessions.
- Craft an engaging opening.
- Create examples to help the audience remember your message.
- Demonstrate techniques that encourage participation and learning.
- Create lesson plans using adult learning strategies.
- Enable adults to facilitate their own learning.
- Introduction and icebreaker
- Workplace training versus other types of learning
- Required skills for workplace trainers
- Adult learners
- The principles of teaching/training adults
- Basic strategies for training adults
- An overview of learning styles
- Training method for adult learners
- Application of adult learning principles
- Creating measurable learning outcomes
- Organizing the content to maximize learning
- Instructional techniques that engage the learner
- Enhance retention with compelling visual aids
- Presentation and facilitation skills for workplace trainers
- Creating an opening that grabs the learner’s attention
- Reinforce the learning with a meaningful close
- Platform skills matter to the adult learner
- 5 ways to facilitate adult learning
- Other tips and ideas
- The importance of feedback and continuous improvement
- Action planning–pulling it all together for your next session