Everyone negotiates all the time, every day. It is just that we don’t always negotiate consciously or very effectively. Many of us cringe at the thought of negotiation—probably because of negative stereotypes.
Since we negotiate all the time anyway, we might as well learn how to do it right. And if we expect to advance in our career, being an effective negotiator is a must.
In this half-day program you’ll learn all you need to know to begin negotiating more effectively right away.
Any employee who would like to increase his/her ability to negotiate in every day issues.
- Effective, lasting agreements.
- More satisfactory outcomes.
- Greater confidence in your ability to hold your own with even the toughest negotiators.
By the end of this program, you will be able to:
- Describe different negotiating strategies and identify advantages/disadvantages of each.
- Identify negotiation steps and how to apply them.
- Manage emotions – yours and others’.
- Recognize negative or manipulative negotiation strategies and know how to counter them.
- Describe skills to learn another’s needs in order to find ways to obtain agreement with a plan.
- Identify BATNA (Best Alternative to No Agreement).
- Explain when “walking away” is your best option because negotiation is impossible.
- Introduction and needs assessment
- Types of negotiation with advantages and disadvantages
- Experiential negotiation exercise
- The steps of win-win negotiation
- Managing your emotions
- Setting a positive tone
- Dealing with manipulative negotiation strategies
- Identifying needs
- Identifying both parties’ needs in negotiation
- Ways to involve the other party in win-win negotiation
- Ways to keep negotiation on track
- Ways to encourage the other person to come to an agreement
- When it makes sense to walk away from a negotiation
- Developing a plan for improving negotiation skills